An internship offer letter is a formal document that outlines the terms and conditions of the internship agreement between the employer and the intern. Here is a general outline of what you should include in an internship offer letter:
- Salutation: Start by addressing the candidate by name and thanking them for their interest in the internship position.
- Position Details: Clearly state the position title, start and end dates of the internship, and the expected number of hours per week.
- Compensation: If the internship is paid, state the amount of compensation, frequency of payment, and any additional benefits, such as health insurance or vacation time. If the training is unpaid, state that fact and explain any other benefits, such as school credit or mentorship opportunities.
- Responsibilities: Describe the intern’s job duties and expectations, including any specific projects they will work on.
- Reporting structure: Explain who the intern will report to and who they will work with daily.
- Performance evaluation: Outline how the intern’s performance will be evaluated and when evaluations will occur.
- Confidentiality agreement: Include a confidentiality agreement outlining the company’s policies regarding confidential information.
- Start date: Clearly state the start date of the internship and any deadlines the intern needs to meet before starting.
- Signature: Include a space for the intern to sign and date the letter, indicating their acceptance of the internship offer.
- Contact information: Provide the intern with contact information for the person they will report to and any other vital contacts they may need during their internship. Remember, an internship offer letter is a legal document, so be sure to have it reviewed by a lawyer before sending it to the intern.
Here is a sample format for an internship offer letter:
[Name of Intern]
[Address of Intern]
[City, State ZIP Code]
Dear [Name of Intern],
I am pleased to offer you an internship position as a [Position Title] with [Company Name]. The internship will begin on [Start Date] and end on [End Date]. The training will last [Number of Weeks/Months], and you will be expected to work [Number of Hours] hours per week.
As an intern with [Company Name], you will receive a compensation of [Compensation Amount] per hour. You will be paid on a [Payment Frequency] basis. In addition to this, you will be eligible for [Benefits or Perks], and you will also receive [School Credit or Other Benefits].
Your responsibilities will include [List of Job Duties and Expectations]. You will report to [Supervisor’s Name], overseeing your work and providing guidance throughout your internship.
Your performance will be evaluated periodically during your internship, and you will receive feedback from your supervisor. We will use this feedback to decide about your continued employment and other opportunities within the company.
During your internship, you will have access to confidential information. You must sign a confidentiality agreement before training to protect this information.
Please indicate your acceptance of this internship offer by signing and returning a copy of this letter by [Acceptance Deadline]. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact [Contact Person’s Name] at [Contact Person’s Email] or [Contact Person’s Phone Number].
We are excited to have you join our team as an intern, and we look forward to working with you.